Driving abroad

You may be driving abroad for a holiday, or need to attend a meeting across the border. Whatever the purpose, it is important to check a few things before you set off, and also that you have the right documents.

Driving abroad and COVID-19

Before going abroad with your car during the COVID-19 pandemic, we recommend that you first and foremost check the travel advise for your countries of interest from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Danish). Furthermore, we recommend that you take all the necessary precautions and follow all instructions from the local authorities in the countries you drive through or in.

Registration certificate

You must carry part 1 of the registration certificate while you are abroad. It documents the vehicle's registration to foreign authorities. Note that SKAT (the Danish Tax Administration) has a processing time of around 3 weeks for issuing registration certificates.

If you need to drive abroad before you receive the original registration certificate, you must have a power of attorney and an application form for a limited registration certificate, both of which you can order from us. 

You will then need to take the power of attorney, the application and ID showing which company you are employed by, to a tax centre, in person, and be issued with a limited registration certificate. The limited registration certificate costs DKK 100.

Do not leave the registration certificate in the glove compartment, or in the car at all.

You can order a registration certificate by logging into my.ald.dk.

Damage or engine stop abroad

When experiencing damage or engine stop abroad, please contact SOS International on +45 70 10 50 52. You can also visit SOS International's website and read more about the conditions. Remember to state that your car is insured through ALD Automotive. 

When should you not contact SOS

  • For autoglass damage (cracked window, including windscreen) contact Carglass on +45 70 11 99 11, and they will take it from there.
  • For minor damage that can be repaired in the course of one working day, punctures, starting problems, towing, etc. please contact Falck Vejservice on tel.no. +45 80 24 00 00.
  • For minor repairs that you have initially paid for, remember to save the receipt, which you must send to us with a brief report.
  • If you are not sure what to do, please call the Insurance Department on +45 33 55 80 60 within normal office hours (8am to 4.30pm).

Green card

The legal liability insurance of your motor vehicle applies in all EU/EEA countries. This means that you can drive freely in all of EU/EEA when the motor vehicle is provided with a valid Danish license plate. 

The license plate in itself is a proof that your motor vehicle has a liability insurance. Therefore, it is no longer necessary to bring the green card when driving within the borders of EU/EEA as well as in Andorra, Bosnia Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia, and Great Britain. 

However, there are still countries outside of EU where you must bring the green card. Find the list of countries here. If you are insured through ALD Automotive Insurance and is driving to one of the countries on the list, you can contact us at +45 33 55 80 60 or at forsikring.dk@aldautomotive.com, and we will send you the green card as fast as possible. Is it car insured through another insurance company, please contact this instead. 

Mandatory environmental labels for environmental zones in Europe

A number of European cities can prohibit cars from entering environmental zones if they do not carry a special environmental label. On FDM's website you can read more, and also order the environmental label online.

Safety equipment

Since different countries' legislation varies, there may be questions about the correct car equipment while driving in Europe. This makes it a good idea to investigate which equipment is mandatory in the countries you drive in. Read more here.

Rules for use of winter tyres, studded tyres and snow chains, etc. abroad

In some other European countries, winter tyres are mandatory in certain periods. If you make frequent trips abroad, or go on skiing holidays, you should read more about the rules for using winter tyres, studded tyres and snow chains in Europe. Read more here.

Notifying claims abroad

The joint European claim form can be found here. It can be a great help in cases, where one is involved in road accidents abroad.