You may be driving abroad for a holiday, or need to attend a meeting across the border. Whatever the purpose, it is important to check a few things before you set off, and also that you have the right documents.

Registration certificate

You must carry part 1 of the registration certificate while you are abroad. It documents the vehicle's registration to foreign authorities. Note that SKAT (the Danish Tax Administration) has a processing time of around 3 weeks for issuing registration certificates.

If you need to drive abroad before you receive the original registration certificate, you must have a power of attorney and an application form for a limited registration certificate, both of which you can order from us. 

You will then need to take the power of attorney, the application and ID showing which company you are employed by, to a tax centre, in person, and be issued with a limited registration certificate. The limited registration certificate costs DKK 100.

Do not leave the registration certificate in the glove compartment, or in the car at all.

You can order a registration certificate by logging intomy.ald.dk.

Red SOS assistance card

A red SOS assistance card must be carried on trips abroad. The card has no expiry date. You can download an application for a red SOS card here. Alternatively, the card can be ordered at my.ald.dk, if your company car is insured via ALD Insurance.

The card has details of the SOS International A/S alarm centre, which can be contacted 24/7 in the event of an accident or damage.

The card documents your car's comprehensive insurance, and entitles you to roadside assistance, procurement of spare parts, recovery, start help, etc. For more serious problems, the card entitles you to payment of unforeseen hotel stays, etc. The full cover details are shown on the reverse of the red card.

If you encounter problems with SOS, call your insurance company immediately - ALD Insurance can be contacted on tel.no. +45 3355 8060.

When should you not contact SOS

  • For autoglass damage (cracked window, including windscreen) contact Carglass on tel.no. (+45) 7011 9911, and they will take it from there.
  • For minor damage that can be repaired in the course of one working day, punctures, starting problems, towing, etc. please contact Falck Vejservice on tel.no. (+45) 8024 0000.
  • For minor repairs that you have initially paid for, remember to save the receipt, which you must send to us with a brief report.
  • If you are not sure what to do, please call the Insurance Department on tel.no. (+45) 3355 8060 within normal office hours (8am-4.30pm).

Green insurance card

This card is valid for one year, and must be renewed. Remember to renew the card before expiry.

The green card is documentation for other countries' authorities and proof that the car's comprehensive insurance has been paid, and provides cover under the relevant country's legislation.

It is not mandatory to carry the green card in the EU member states, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Andorra and Croatia, but we still recommend that you carry this card.

Red SOS assistance cards and green insurance cards can be ordered at my.ald.dk, if you hold insurance via ALD. Otherwise you must contact your own insurance company.

Read more here about the green and red cards

Mandatory environmental labels for environmental zones in Europe

A number of European cities can prohibit cars from entering environmental zones if they do not carry a special environmental label. On FDM's website you can read more, and also order the environmental label online.

Safety equipment

Since different countries' legislation varies, there may be questions about the correct car equipment while driving in Europe. This makes it a good idea to investigate which equipment is mandatory in the countries you drive in. Read more here

Rules for use of winter tyres, studded tyres and snow chains, etc. abroad

In some other European countries, winter tyres are mandatory in certain periods. If you make frequent trips abroad, or go on skiing holidays, you should read more here about the rules for using winter tyres, studded tyres and snow chains in Europe.

Notifying claims abroad

The joint European claims report has been translated into several European languages. This can be a great help if you are involved in a car accident abroad. You can find the joint European claims report here

Contact us
3355 8000